Chicago Drive-By Shooting Kills 17-Year-Old in South Lawndale

R
Rebecca Ward
Aug 19, 2026 Chicago

Police search for dark SUV after fatal South Hamlin Avenue shooting

CHICAGO — A 17-year-old boy was killed in a drive-by shooting late Tuesday in the city’s South Lawndale neighborhood after a passenger in a dark-colored SUV opened fire as the teen stood outside on South Hamlin Avenue, police said.

The shooting happened at about 11:10 p.m. in the 2600 block of South Hamlin Avenue. The boy had been dropped off near his girlfriend’s home and was talking on his phone when the gunfire began, according to a Chicago Police Department report.

Investigators said the shooter was seated in the back of a dark-colored SUV. The passenger fired at the teen, striking him in the head and chest. The vehicle then fled south on Hamlin Avenue.

Emergency responders took the victim to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 11:54 p.m., according to police and the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Police initially listed the victim as 16 years old before later reporting that he was 17. Authorities did not release his name or provide details about a possible motive.

Detectives seek vehicle and shooter

The case highlights the danger posed by attacks carried out from moving vehicles, which can leave investigators with limited descriptions and a rapidly disappearing trail. Police did not disclose the SUV’s make, model, license plate information or a more detailed description of the gunman.

No arrests had been reported as of the latest police update. Detectives assigned to Area 4 are investigating the fatal Chicago drive-by shooting and searching for the SUV and the person who fired the shots.