Austin Police Arrest Two Teenagers Following Weekend Shooting Spree and Robberies

Two teenagers are in custody and police are searching for a potential third suspect following a series of at least 10 random shootings and robberies across Austin, Texas, that left four people injured over the weekend. The violence, which occurred between Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, prompted a temporary shelter-in-place order for residents in a large portion of the city's southern area.

Austin Police Chief Lisa Davis said the suspects drove around the city in at least four stolen vehicles, firing at houses, apartment buildings, and two fire stations. Officers apprehended two boys, ages 15 and 17, after pulling over a stolen car. Both teenagers attempted to flee on foot before being detained. A third occupant of the vehicle also fled and remains at large, though Davis noted it is currently unknown if that individual was involved in the shootings.

According to police, the firearm used in the shootings had been stolen earlier by the 15-year-old, while the 17-year-old was already wanted for a separate firearm theft. Four victims of the shootings were hospitalized, including one who suffered critical injuries.

Authorities lifted the shelter-in-place order after the two teenagers were taken into custody. Investigators have not established a motive for the attacks. "We don’t have any specific motive that has been identified. In fact, these actions appear to be random," Austin Mayor Kirk Watson said.

COMMENTS (0)

Sign in to join the conversation

LOGIN TO COMMENT